25 August 2006

M m m My Sharona


Apparently, it's not easy to make a song about Sharon. The only other song that I can recall where the leading subject was my own namesake was "Spiders and Snakes" Jim Stafford's I Ain't Sharin' Sharon. So when the Knack came out with My Sharona way back in *gasp* 1979, I thought it was pretty cool. And so it is with sadness that I read today of the death of Bruce Gary, the drummer on My Sharona.

My Sharona is a great pop-song the kind you can't get out of your head for days. And its driving drum beat is largely the cause.

Gary also worked with such musical legends as George Harrison, Steven Stills and Bob Dylan, as well as Jack Bruce, Rod Stewart, Sheryl Crow, Yoko Ono and Harry Nilsson.

As stated on his website, Bruce was one of rock 'n' roll's preeminent drummers for more than three decades.

No comments: