25 November 2009

Betty's Cranberry Salad

For Thanksgiving I offer my recipe for this family favourite. I first got a taste of this sweetness back when I was a young working girl. Those halcyon days when I worked at Silvergate Savings in Ocean Beach. My supervisor, Betty Wilson, brought this to work one day and I think I've made it every year since. The tang of the fresh cranberries is tempered by the sweetness of the sugar and pineapple and marshmallows. Make this the night before to let the flavours marry for a delicious treat on your holiday table.

Rinse and drain the fresh cranberries.




Chop the cranberries in a food processor. Add sugar and refrigerate for one hour.



Once the sugar has macerated with the cranberries to create a lovely red syrup add the crushed pineapple (don't be a goof like me and forget to drain the pineapple - just saying).




Next stir in the sour cream and the chopped nuts. I know, you wouldn't think, but it does. Go figure.

Add the marshmallows. (My research shows that the amount of marshmallows called for is approximately two handfuls minus one mouthful. Your mileage may vary.)




Yummy!



I hope everyone has a safe and blessed Thanksgiving.


Betty’s Cranberry Salad

12 oz bag or .75 lb fresh cranberries, washed & drained
1 2/3 C. sugar
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
1 C. (or more if desired) miniature marshmallows
3/4 C. sour cream
½ C. chopped walnuts

Chop cranberries in food processor (1/2 at a time). Put in bowl and add sugar, let stand for one hour. Add pineapple, sour cream, marshmallows and nuts. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

No comments: